Books & Manuscripts
- Search these Library of Congress subject headings in WestCat, the library's online catalog:
- Tips: Use the Quick Search option and enter the terms below in the search box and select Subject as the search.
- old age
- old age assistance
- older people
- elder abuse
- elderly poor
- social security
- Use the Quick Search option and enter aging, ageing or elder? in the search box and select Any Word Anywhere as the search.
- Use the Advance Search option and search "Older Americans Act" or "Social Security" as phrases.
- If you are having trouble finding material on your topic, try searching I-Share (through WestCat), a database of the catalogs of over 70 Illinois libraries or WorldCat, a database of library catalogs from all over the world.
- Any book you find which we don't have may be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Allow a week to 10 days.
- Try searching OpenCRS to find Congressional Research Reports on your topic.
- Search the database CQ Public Affairs Collection
- Search the database CQ Researcher
- Search the database Sociological Abstracts.
- Search the database Social Services Abstracts.
- Search the multi-disciplinary databases, like Periodical Abstracts and InfoTrac.
- Search LexisNexis (Legal tab) and Westlaw Campus for full-text law review articles.
- Make sure WIU doesn't have access to articles you find in databases that don't make all articles available full-text by searching the Periodicals Holdings List for the journal title. The PHL contains full-text e-titles purchased by WIU Libraries, and print/microform periodicals shelved in the Libraries.
- Any article you find to which we don't have access may be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Allow a week to 10 days.
Government, Legal, Spatial and Data Services
Malpass Library, 4th Floor
Western Illinois University
1 University Circle