How to use the Zotero citation software.
Last Updated: Feb 1, 2012
This Firefox add-on can store citations and then create a bibliography for you using whichever style you want:
- For one personal computer: Download the Firefox browser if you don't already have it.
For use with multiple computers:Download the portable version of Firefox onto a thumb drive that you will carry or onto your Samba server space (P: drive) if you will always use a computer that logs you into your ecom account.
- Open up the version of Firefox (PC or portable) you are intending to use with Zotero, and then go to http://www.zotero.org/ and download Zotero. Since it is a plug-in, you may have to restart the browser to fully install it. You'll know you have succeeded when you see the word Zotero in the bottom right-hand corner of the browser window.
- When searching a database, look for icons at the right end of the address bar. If Zotero recognizes a single citation it displays an article (piece of paper) or book icon; if Zotero sees a list of citations, you will see a folder icon.
Single Article: Single Book:
List of Citations: Book Chapter:
If you see one of these icons, click on it. If you click on a folder, you may have to select from list. A message will briefly flash in the bottom right-hand corner telling you the citation was saved to Zotero.
Some databases require you to use an Export, Save, or Citation Tools option. You may have to place items in a folder or marked list first. If Zotero is not listed as an export option, look for a "Reference Manager" option.
- To open up the Zotero software to view your citations, click on the word Zotero in the bottom right hand of the browser window.
- Create a Collection for related citations in the My Library window on the left. Click on the new folder icon above the pane. Once you have created the Collection folder, you can drag items from the middle pane over to it.
- Create a bibliography by right-clicking on the desired collection folder, choose "Create Bibliography from Collection" then choose a citation style and output option. The "Copy to clipboard" option allows you to paste it immediately into a Word document.
- If you use multiple installations of Zotero (i.e. one on your laptop and one on the P: drive), turn on the Sync function in each installation so that the computer you are currently using will be updated to have all citations saved using your username anywhere. Open up the Zotero pane at the bottom of the browser, then click on the Tools icon and choose Preferences. Click on the Sync tab and enter your username and password and click on Ok.