In addition to the mapping option available in American Factfinder, the Census Bureau has developed a number of interactive mapping sites that can be used to explore Census data on a map.
1. Link to the interactive mapping sites website and choose Census Data Mapper. The initial map shows the Percent Male by County for the entire United States.
2. Change the data theme using the pull-down menu on the left side of the map. Choose one of the data topics.
3. Choose a data table for that theme by using the pull-down menu on the left side of the map under the words Choose a data table.
4. Choose the color palette and number of classes for the map by using the pull-down menus on the left side of the page.
5. Once the initial map is made, it is possible to change the geographic level or zoom in and out on the map using the scroll wheel on a mouse. The map can also be re-centered by clicking on the map with the mouse and sliding the map around in the window until the area of interest is centered.
6. To view data about a specific area, hover over the area with the cursor. A statistic on the topic will appear.