Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Where to Start?
These pages describe some general starting places for company information. If you want to look at a company within the larger context of its competitors, you may also want to check out the Industry Research guide.
For Company Background Information
- Company Dossier from Nexis Uni/LexisNexis - Find company info by specific name or by using search criteria.
- Once you get a company "snapshot," note the many options in the left column, each offering a specific kind of information for that company.
- For 10-K and other reports that have been filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, choose SEC filings in the left column.
- If you just want to search SEC filings, the easiest way to do this is start from the advanced search screen in Nexis Uni and open the Select a Specific Content Type pulldown just below the giant Search. On the right side under "Company and Financial" you should see SEC Filings as the first option.
- MarketLine Company Profiles Authority - Go to Business Source Elite and choose the "Company Profiles" tab from the blue bar across the top of the screen. These profiles of individual companies include sections such as key facts, history, revenue analysis, SWOT analysis, and more.
- ValueLine Investment Survey - Current financial info and an investment analyst's report. Type the company name or ticker symbol in the box at the very top of the page.
- Hoover's Company Records - In-depth profiles for 40,000 public and private companies worldwide. Available via Nexis Uni.
- Mergent Company Web Reports - Company histories, business descriptions, and financial statements back to 1909. Formerly known as Moody's Manuals.